- What do I need before placing an orders?
• Your need a current eyeglasses prescription from an optometrist. If you would like to use an already existing prescription, it needs to be less than two years old.
• It is important to indicate your PD (Pupillary Distance) measurement on your order. If this is not available on your prescription, the steps to do the measurements yourself are easy. For instructions click on PD measurement.
• You need to provide the details of your credit card ( visa or Mastercard) or PayPal.
• Also provide the details of your shipping and billing address.
- What are the steps to online ordering?
• Browse our website to find your favorite glasses.
• Enter your prescription details and PD measurements in the marked fields or you can fax this information to us.
• In the fields provided, select your desired lens type/ thickness and coating.
• Choose from the different options available for your glasses.
• Click on the types of accessories you need.
• Enter your shipping address.
• Click on your payment method and enter your details.
• Verify all information including the total of your purchase and click on the submit button.
• Please be advised that if you change your mind after submitting and cancel the order, we would treat the cancellation as we would with our refund policy.
- Why are your prices so low?
By offering our glasses on-line and not having to maintain an optical store, all the savings are passed on to our customers. This way, we have been able to maintain lower prices and provide a great selection of quality frames, lenses and contact lenses.
- What will be included in my package with the basic price?
Along with your high quality glasses, you will receive an attractive case and lens cloth free of charge. All of the prices shown (in Australian Dollar) include the frame and basic lenses with hard anti scratch coating. Other coatings need to be purchased, however, all transition lenses, sunglass lenses, or prescription sunglass lenses or any lens with tint will come with standard 100% UV protection coating built in to protect your eyes from harmful sunrays.
- How do you ensure quality of your glasses?
All of our frames and lenses are supplied by one of the world’s largest manufacturers that have proven their reliability and quality over many decades. Prior to shipping, all the frames are inspected by our trained staff and all the prescription glasses are carefully checked by our optometrist to ensure that the lenses have been made to the required prescription and to your specifications. These measurements ensure the delivery of the best quality glasses/lenses to our customers.
- How to choose my Lens Options?
• Single Vision (distance): these are general use lenses that are focused for distance. This includes driving, and general daily wear.
• Single Vision (near): These lenses are designed for reading and near vision. If you have a prescription for reading lenses or computer lenses, then choose this option.
• Bifocal: These lenses offer combined distance and reading sections separated within the lens by a visible line. Specifically, these are 28 D-seg bifocals.
• Mulifocal/Progressives: These lenses offer Distance, Intermediate and Near vision, that gradually changes from the top of the lens (distance), to the very bottom (near). There is no line separating these sections, and the lenses appear as a Single Vision lens from the front. Our Multifocal/Progressives are all high quality back surface Digital Free-Form Lenses, offering superior clarity and reduced distortions. You will be hard pressed to find the same lenses anywhere cheaper than this!
• Clear: These lenses are normal clear lenses.
• Tint: These lenses are offered in a tint colour of your choice. You must also choose the strength of tint. As Australian sun can be very glary, we recommend that if these glasses will be used mainly for outdoors, sports, or beach, that you choose moderate (60%) to dark (80%) tint.
• Polarised: These lenses are offered in a tint colour of your choice. Polarised lenses have the benefit of improved clarity and reduced glare in bright environments, such as driving, around water and snow.
• Transitions: These lenses darken in sunlight, and become clear in in-door environments. We have both regular PhotoChromatic as well as Transitions 6 Lenses. These options are presented in “Choose Your Lenses”.
• Anti-Reflective Coating: We recommend “Anti-Reflective Coating” on all types of lenses. This coating reduces reflections off the front surface of the lens, improving clarity of the lens and reducing glare.
• Ultra Violet Coating: We recommend “Ultra Violet Coating” for lenses that are worn outdoors, especially if they are tinted or polarised. These coatings block 100% of UV transmission through the lens.
- How do I fill in the form for my prescription?
Firstly, you need to be able to read your Prescription and know what those abbreviates stand for?
Prescriptions can be written in several ways.
Here are the 2 most common examples
RE = Right Eye
LE = Left Eye
Sph = Sphere
Cyl = Cylinder
Add = Addition. This value will only be present and used if making Bifocals, Multifocals, or Reading glasses.
PD = Pupilary Distance
Both Example 1 and 2 are demonstrating the same prescription. Example 1 has Sph, Cyl and Axis written next to each value. In Example two, these values are written in specific order as shown above.
Sometimes instead of RE and LE, the letters OD and OS are used respectively.
Second, on the form, you need to scroll down and to fill in these numbers under their corresponding fields.
- Which lens is recommended for my prescription?
- 1.49 Lenses – Standard Thickness
Prescription recommendation: (+3.00/-2.50)
Our standard prescription eyeglasses are made using the highest grade optical quality plastic lenses. Standard plastic, with its high grade optical qualities, can also be tinted darker than polycarbonate. We add scratch resistant coating to all standard plastic lenses and additional standard 100% UV protection coating to all tinted standard prescription eyeglasses at no additional cost to you.
1.56 Average Thickness
Prescription recommendation: (+4 to -4.00)
These lenses are thinner than our Standard lenses. You can order them as clear lenses and our range of Transition lenses are offered with this thickness in grey or brown.
1.59 Thin and Strong Polycarbonate
Prescription recommendation: (up to +4.00 or -4.00)
Polycarbonate lenses are substantially thinner, lighter and impact resistant than standard plastic lenses. Because of their thinness and durability, astronaut face shields and windows in the space shuttle were constructed by this material. Polycarbonate is of substantial benefit when making children’s and active adult’s eyeglasses. It is also utilized in the eyeglasses of persons with a lazy or blind eye.
1.60 Thin High Index
Prescription recommendation: (+4 to -4.00)
These are hi-Index lenses, offering superior optical clarity and thinner and lighter weight for medium strength prescriptions.
1.67 Super Thin High-Index Lenses
Prescription recommendation: (-3 to-6.50 or +3 to +6.50)
Our Super Thin High Index Lenses, with a refractive index of 1.67, are substantially thinner and lighter than CR39 plastic and polycarbonate lenses all other that Opticians and Optometrists may sell as high index lens. They are manufactured with an aspheric (flatter) design as well as UV and scratch resistant coatings.
1.67 Super Thin High Index Lenses are highly recommended for people who wear larger, rimless eyeglasses frames or who have smaller pupillary distances (i.e. less than 62 mm).
1.74 Ultra thin High index lenses
• This is thinnest lens possible.
• High quality and light.
• Aspheric design.
• Recommended for patients with large prescriptions. Recommended for scripts greater than +5 or -5
- How do I measure my old frames for a better fit?
• To choose a comfortable fitting frame, you simply measure the front length, the lens height, the lens width, the bridge and the arm length of your existing frame as shown in the diagram and compare and match them with each available frame measurement.
- What Health Funds do you accept?
SmartSpecs is recognised by most private health funds such as Australian Health Management, Australian Unity Health Ltd, CBHS Health Fund, CUA Health, Defence Health, GMF Health, GMHBA Ltd, GU Health, HBF, HCF+Manchester Unity, Health Insurance Fund, Health Partners Limited, Latrobe Health Services, Manchester Unity, Medibank Private Ltd, NIB Health Funds Ltd, Peoplecare Health Insurance, Queensland Country Health, St.LukesHealth, SGIO, Teachers' Union Health, Teachers Federation Health, Westfund.
We email you the receipt of your purchase which can be then taken to your health Fund provider for reimbursement. We however recommend that you confirm the coverage prior to your purchase.
For the other health funds, you might still be covered. You can take your receipt which includes the provider number to your health fund to fill in the claim form. Your insurance company then will inform you of your coverage.
- What is your guarantee and return policy?
All products will be sent to SmartSpecs place of operation prior to being individually packaged and delivered to the customers via the Australia Post. Every item will be examined for quality of frame, lens, and prescription prior to delivery to the customer.
SmartSpecs Guarantees that the customer will receive their ordered goods in new original condition. If the products have been damaged during delivery, the customer must contact SmartSpecs immediately upon receiving the goods and inform of the defects or damage. SmartSpecs will reply to the customer and advise on course of action. As these are tracked deliveries, Australia Post offers insurance on products. Therefore it is important that packaging and all content are retained. Once insurance has been paid SmartSpecs will replace the goods. In some circumstances stock may have sold out. In these cases, the customer can select other items up to the equivalent value or pay the difference for more expensive items.
Glasses – Frames and Lenses
SmartSpecs offers a 1 year Manufacturer Warranty on all complete sets of glasses. This includes manufacturing faults to frames and lenses for up to 1 year from the purchase invoice date.
In the event where a customer claims a manufacturing fault, the customer must first contact SmartSpecs and inform of the defects. The Glasses must then be returned to SmartSpecs in their case for assessment at the customer’s expense. We will examine the goods and determine if a manufacturing fault is present. In the event that a Manufacturer Warranty applies a replacement pair of glasses of equivalent value will be sent to the customer. Every effort will be made to replace the original frame with the same item. However, in some circumstances the frame may have sold out, and the customer can choose a new frame up to the equivalent value. The new set of glasses will be sent to the customer at SmartSpecs expense. Warranty will continue to apply to the new items from the date of the original invoice. In the event that the items are found not to qualify for warranty, the items will be returned to the customer, and the customer will be charged for the shipping and handling costs.
Note: It must be emphasised that lenses must be cleaned using an optical lens cleaning cloth such as the one provided with your order. Lenses that are cleaned using cotton or other materials, or under warm water can lead to micro-scratches and damage to the lens and especially lens coatings. Optical frames are fragile, and must be kept safe in their original hard case if not being worn. Damage resulting from improper care does not qualify for Manufacturer Warranty.
SmartSpecs offers a 1 year Manufacturer Warranty on all Contact lenses. This warranty covers any manufacturing defect found with the contact lenses.
In the event where a customer claims a manufacturing fault, the customer must first contact SmartSpecs and inform of the defects. The items must then be returned to SmartSpecs at the customers own expense. The contact lenses are then sent to the manufacturer for assessment. If it is determined that a manufacturing warranty applies a replacement box of contact lenses of equivalent value will be sent to the customer. In cases where the contact lenses can not be replaced, the customer will be given a refund of the items minus the cost of shipping and handling. Warranty will continue to apply to the new items from the date of the original invoice. In the event that the items are found not to qualify for warranty, the items will be returned to the customer, and the customer will be charged for any shipping and handling costs.
Returns, Exchanges, and Refunds
Glasses – Frames and Lenses:
SmartSpecs offers all its customers a 100% satisfaction guarantee on all its prescription Glasses and Sunglasses. On receiving the new glasses, if the customer is not completely satisfied with the goods, they can return the goods and elect for an exchange or refund.* (Charged may apply)
*The customer must first contact SmartSpecs within 4 weeks of receiving the goods and inform SmartSpecs that they are not satisfied with the goods. We accept all reasons: not liking the appearance does not meet your expectations, does not suit your face, partner does not like it… etc.
The customer is required to pay a set amount for exchange to take place, (currently $39.90) and send the goods in original unused condition, with case, cloth and packaging to SmartSpecs at the customers own expense. Customers must use express post or any form of tracked mail, and the frames must be in their case. We do not accept responsibility if frames or accessories have been damage during delivery and the return will be void.
In the event that a customer decides to exchange their glasses, they can pick a single pair of glasses up to the value of their original purchased glasses. The customer can decide on a more expensive set of glasses, however will be required to pay the difference in cost. The new set of glasses will be made and sent to the customer. The option for exchange is only available once with the original order.
As prescription glasses are tailored to each customer, we are unable to sell prescription lenses once they have been cut and tailored for any particular customer. For this reason, in the event that a customer would prefer a refund, the customer will be refunded for the cost of their Frames only. Lenses and shipping and handling charges are not included in the refund.
It is normal for customers to experience difficulty adjusting to Multifocals. We recommend that customers persist with the new glasses for at least 2 weeks. If the customer is not adjusting to the new glasses they can exchange their multifocals within 4 weeks of receiving them for a pair of single vision distance glasses and a pair of single vision reading glasses. If the total cost of the new items is equal or less than the original cost, there is no charge to the customer. When there is an increased total sale price, the customer will be required to pay the difference. The customer must first contact SmartSpecs and then send the glasses in their case both in original condition to SmartSpecs at the customers own expense. Customers must use express post or any form of tracked mail, and the frames must be in their case. We do not accept responsibility if frames or accessories have been damage during delivery, and the return will be void. The customer will be charged for shipping and handling of the new replacement glasses.
Change of Lens Prescription
Every prescription glass is checked for frame and lens quality, and accuracy of prescription prior to delivery to the customer. In some circumstances, customers may discover upon receiving their new glasses that they are unhappy with their vision through the new glasses. SmartSpecs ensures that the prescription provided by the customer is what we dispense. However, in some circumstances the customer may have provided the incorrect prescription or the optometrist may have written or given the wrong prescription. We do not take responsibility in these circumstances, however we understand the frustration that customers can experience. Therefore if customers provide a new modified prescription, SmartSpecs will replace the lenses with the new prescription for 50% the original sale price plus any shipping and handling charges. The customer will need to deliver the glasses safely inside their case to SmartSpecs using express post or any other tracked mail service at their own expense. SmartSpecs does not take responsibility if the glasses are damaged during delivery. The original frame will be re-refitted with new lenses according to the modified prescription and sent back to the customer.
What are the payment methods and Card Security?
We accept Visa and MasterCard for your Payments. You can be confident that your card details will remain safe, as our payment page is encrypted with 128bit and SSL Secured Technology.
What are the terms and conditions?
These terms and conditions apply to the use of this website including the purchase of all items, including Frames, Sunglasses, Lenses, Accessories, and Contact Lenses. By using this website, you agree to these terms and conditions, including those relating to Customer Guarantee, Return, Exchange, and Refund Policies.
• SmartSpecs reserves the right to amend these terms and conditions from time to time. Amendments will be effective immediately upon notification on this website.
• Please be advised that if the customer changes their mind after submitting their order, we will treat any cancellation the same as our refund policy.
• All prices quoted at SmartSpecs are in Australian Dollars.
• For delivery, SmartSpecs only uses Australian Post with tracking. Therefore your order is always easy to find in case of a delay.
• All merchandise has been included on this website in the belief that it is available, however some items may become unavailable if suppliers fail to deliver. If we are unable to provide a product as per your order then we will offer an alternative or a refund.
What is our delivery method and expected time frame?
SmartSpecs will deliver your glasses direct to your shipping address. We use Australia Post with tracking, so in the event that your order becomes lost we can always search for its last location.
Your new glasses will normally reach you within 2 weeks of placing your order. In some circumstances the frame or lenses may be out of stock with the supplier, or the prescription may need to be custom made, therefore delays may occur. If 4 weeks have passed and you have not received your order, then please contact us and we will follow up with our suppliers.
SmartSpecs.com.au is Owned and Operated by Guardian Information Systems Pty Ltd. ABN 15064920976